Friday, September 3, 2010

About Me

Hi, everyone! Welcome to my blog.

Ever since I was a little kid, the drum set has fascinated me: the tumbling sound of the tom-toms, the loud crash of the cymbals, and the crisp sound of the snare makes every song sound 10 times better. I used to bang on the kitchen table and pause at the sight of drummers, such as Tommy Lee, Caroline Corr, and Tico Torres. I wished for lessons for over a decade, but I didn't begin until January 2010, at 23 years old. Sometime after I finished my undergraduate degree and got a job, I told myself it was time to fulfill my dream.

Luckily, playing music was nothing new to me. I played the flute in school band from 7th - 12th grade. In marching band (11th-12th grade), I played the piccolo, the tiniest and highest pitched instrument in the ensemble. Though students envied the piccolos because of the light-weight instrument, I envied the drum line. Why didn't I play the drums to begin with? I'm not really sure. But now, I'm trying to make up for lost time.

The process of learning how to play has been maddening, but it's still the best thing I've ever decided to do. I never expected the amount of frustration I would face being a drummer, such as coordination and speed. But I love practicing -- often times I go in a trance and don't even notice when someone is in the same room! When I'm not practicing, I'm reading about drummers, listening for drum beats, and searching for the best books and DVDs about drumming.

I'm definitely not a drumming expert, but I still hope I can share some information I've learned, and continue to learn, about the oldest instrument in the world.

Tammy

No comments:

Post a Comment