Friday, October 1, 2010

Drumming is Bliss

Drumming makes me happy. Even when my body aches from playing the same rudiments repeatedly, I still can't stop. I don't play because I want to...I play because I can't help it.

I'm often asked if I'm in a band, or if I want to be in one. I always answer no. I've never wanted to be on stage -- I've hated public speaking since I was a kid, and playing music in front of others has never been natural to me. Any playing tests I had in school band terrified me. I remember practicing and practicing my flute until I became dizzy. I would play perfectly in front of my private teacher and my family, but then when I had to play in front of judges at a state competition, I would shake, twitch, forget the notes. I'll never forget when I had to play a chromatic scale for judges who were sitting behind a curtain. My nerves beat me, and I couldn't finish the scale. I cried the entire day. (I was in 12th grade)

When I called my local music store, Music and Arts, about drum lessons, I made myself clear that I did not want to participate in recitals or competitions. "Don't worry, we don't have recitals for the store," the employee said. I was relieved. I was going to play music for fun! Nobody would judge me except for the private teacher, who would only judge me to help improve my skills.

Since I started drumming, I've noticed that I'm happier and more energetic. I'm not surprised. Just listening to drum beats makes me feel happier and more energetic! I remember when I heard the song "Battlefield" by Jordin Sparks. The drum beat stood out to me more than any other song had in awhile. The song starts off calmly as the drums create a crisp sound effect. The song gradually crescendos into an epic, antsy tune. By the time the song reaches the bridge and she croons, “Why does love always feel like a battlefield? a battlefield! a BATTLEFIELD! I guess you better go and get your armor. . .” the percussion turns the song into a bombastic, raging force that brings out the essence of the song's message. It almost sounds like Jordin Sparks is on a battlefield. What would that song be without the drums?

When I listen to tunes like "Battlefield," or some of my other favorite songs, I try coming up with drum covers. This weekend, I took the video below, which is me trying to play "Holiday" by Green Day. I've always loved Tre Cool's drum beat to this song -- the floor tom is played heavily in certain parts, which is refreshing since I don't often hear songs with this much emphasis on the drums. I've been working on a cover for some time now, but something seems to be missing. Basically, I learned this by ear, so it's rusty.



But this is one of my favorite things to do...put on a song and try playing along to it, come up with covers, etc. I don't wish for a keyboardist, vocalist, or guitarist to jam with me. I don't need an audience to be fulfilled. All I need are my sticks and my kit to be in complete bliss. So it's not surprising that drumming is good for health. According to the Raven Drum Foundation, drumming reduces stress, boosts the immune system, and more. I found this fascinating:

Specifically, drumming promotes the production of endorphins and endogenous opiates, the bodies own morphine-like pain killers, and can thereby help to control pain.
Drum therapy has been around forever. According to Michael Drake, About.com contributor, "From the shamans of Mongolia to the Minianka healers of West Africa, therapeutic rhythm techniques have been used for thousands of years to create and maintain physical, mental, and spiritual health."

The benefits linked to drumming are numerous. My favorite fact about drumming is that it can make you smarter. According to the article "Everyone Gets Some Kind of Release Hitting Things," drumming stimulates the brain. In addition, kids who play drums score higher on IQ tests.

I have no idea how accurate the research is (don't all new hobbies stimulate the brain?), but I do know that drumming has forced me to think harder than I ever imagined. Playing music in general is linked to higher IQ scores, SAT scores, etc. -- at least that's what I remember hearing from VH1 Save the Music. The fact that there are tons of jokes about drummers being stupid really bothers me ("What do you call a drummer with half a brain? Gifted.") Anyone can pick up sticks and hit a drum, but how many people can pick up a guitar and play a chord without some kind of assistance? But the amount of coordination needed blew me away. Perhaps I never thought about the difficulty because all the drummers I watched growing up always looked like they were having a blast.

But I am having a blast, regardless of the frustration. I remember video taping myself once (just like the video above). Once I watched it, I noticed that my father was in the background -- I never even noticed he was there. Practicing becomes meditative. All the research that proves drumming reduces stress, tension, and negative feelings are benefits I could tell anyone without any scientific proof.

Drumming is good exercise, too. After a good practice session, my forearms burn, and I almost always feel sweat form on my forehead. I always need to keep a bottled water nearby. In a recent article on BBC, titled "Can Blondie Drummer Solve the Obesity Problem?" more drumming benefits are found. Clem Burke, drummer for Blondie, participates in a study that suggests drumming could be great exercise for obese children who are embarrassed to dress up in sports gear. I love this quote from the article:
Drumming involves the coordination of four limbs and the brain, so it's a fantastic model to investigate.

--Dr. Marcus Smith
The study was in the news in 2008, too. In an article on BBC, "Rock Drummers are 'top athletes,'" Dr. Marcus Smith said drummers can burn between 400 and 600 calories during an hour concert. Clem Burke's heart rate peaked at 190 beats per minute, which compares to top athletes. Isn't that incredible? My drum teacher quit smoking recently because after a 4 hour gig, he was absolutely exhausted. Drummers need a ton of endurance.

Of course, drummers need to be careful. Sound protection is much needed (I wear Vic Firth sound protecting headphones), and with improper technique, carpal tunnel syndrome and tendinitis could occur. Posture is very important as well. I believe this is why private drum lessons are a must. Max Weinberg, drummer for Bruce Springsteen's E Street Band, Late Night With Conan O'Brien, and The Tonight Show With Conan O'Brien, suffered with tendinitis and carpal tunnel in the 1980s. Weinberg thanks famous drummer, Joe Morello, for teaching him how to play with his condition. He ends his shows dunking his hands in a bucket of ice.

So when people ask me what the point is of learning an instrument at 24 years old, I don't feel the need to defend myself. No, I'm not in a band, and I don't plan on being in one. I'm simply fulfilling a childhood dream and having a blast playing along to my favorite songs. Meanwhile, I'm benefiting my mental and physical health. How cool is that?

No comments:

Post a Comment