Sunday, December 5, 2010

Reason #43439180 Why I Love Angelina Jolie

I've been an Angelina Jolie for a decade, long before she became a household name. When I was 15, I sent her a fan letter and I actually received an autographed picture of her from Tomb Raider a few weeks later. I wonder how long it would take if I tried sending a letter now. Since 2001, I've seen all of her films the day they are released. The Tourist, with Johnny Depp, is coming out next Friday and I can't freaking wait.

Journalist Andrew Morton, who wrote the biography Diana: Her True Story, recently published a book about Angelina. I was hesitant to buy it -- I was sure it was a bunch of tabloid rumors, and what could be in it that Angelina Jolie has not admitted herself? She's one of the most honest, open celebrities out there. But I read some reviews and people said it didn't portray her negatively so being the curious fan that I am, I decided to read it.

I flipped to the picture section first, and what did I find? A picture of Angelina Jolie playing drums with Joey Covington, the drummer from Jefferson Airplane. In Chapter Seven, pages 134-136, Morton writes about how Angelina was very self-destructive around 1997 -- suicidal, cutting herself, etc. (She has spoken in-depth about all this on television). She contacted Joey Covington who told her to give him a list of people she hated to place on the different drum heads. Who did she have on the list? Her father (no surprise there) and her agent.

"I sincerely believe drums helped save her life," says Covington. "They gave her a focus and a sense of achievement." She started lessons to maybe jam with her then-boyfriend Timothy Hutton's band. She even bought an electric drum kit so she could practice in her apartment.

Of course, I have no idea how truthful Morton's information is, or if playing drums "helped save her life." All I know is, this is super cool information, and I have one more reason to admire her.

No comments:

Post a Comment