Sunday, November 28, 2010

Drummer of the Week: Tico Torres

I love Bon Jovi. Love. I had no idea who they were until I heard the song "It's My Life" on the radio in 2000. My older sisters of course knew who Bon Jovi were -- they were huge when they were in middle school. (I was born in 1986, the year "Livin' On A Prayer" hit airwaves). I absolutely fell in love with the song, especially the "woaw woaw" from the guitar, and the drum beat! So intense and LOUD and amazing! The lyrics were perfect -- it became my own little anthem. At 14, with super strict parents, I loved blasting the line "I just wanna live while I'm alive 'cause it's my life"!

I had to buy their latest album, Crush. I loved that album so much that I had to buy their greatest hits, Cross Road. I loved that album so much that I had to go buy every single one of their albums. Ten years later, I'm still a total Bon Jovi nut.

The drummer, Tico Torres, started off learning jazz drumming (perhaps I should consider this even more motivation for learning jazz) with Joe Morello (this guy has a number of drumming books -- he's amazing). Torres had already recorded drums for a number of artists when Jon Bon Jovi approached him to be the drummer of his new band. Almost 30 years later, they are now one of the biggest rock bands in the world.

Here's a video of Tico talking about his Remo drum heads:


No comments:

Post a Comment