Saturday, November 13, 2010

An Ode to Hanson

I go to an average of 15 concerts a year. Since January 2010, I've seen the Jonas Brothers, Lady Gaga, Brandon Flowers, Rihanna, Lifehouse, and more. But no artist gets me pumped up like Hanson. Yes, Hanson. People roll their eyes at me anytime I mention them, but I can't help myself. Since 1997, they have been my favorite band. Something about the wholesome image, the bubblegum pop (someone TRY telling me that MMMBop isn't catchy!), and the talent (all three play their own instruments and write their own songs) wooed me into a passionate fandom. The youngest Hanson, Zac, was my first true, crazy, full-blown crush. And Zac Hanson just happens to be a drummer. (Oh, and I still have a crazy crush on him...)

No, he's not the reason I'm attracted to drums. My love of the drums started before I knew he existed, but he sure has been an inspiration to me. In fact, all three of them are inspirations to me. I feel like I grew up with them. I listened to their music evolve from their first album, Middle of Nowhere, with their high-pitched voices and bubbly melodies to their latest album, Shout It Out, which sounds like bluesy 50s and 60s rock and roll. Shout It Out is filled with rich melodies infused with trumpets and horns, great guitar solos, and of course, drum beats that give the tunes momentum.

So when I found out that Hanson would perform at the State Theatre in Falls Church on Sunday, November 14, I had to be there. I haven't missed a single show they have performed in northern Virginia and DC. Each time I see them, I turn into the giddy, silly, heart-pumping fan who stares wide-eyed at the stage. Yesterday was no different.


They came out around 9:30pm and the crowd went nuts. I was standing in about the 6th row. When Hanson performed at the Nissan Pavillion in Brisow, Virginia in 1998 I was sitting in the very back row (the place holds about 20,000 people). Now I get to see them up close, which is always exciting. They started off singing the first track on Shout It Out, an energetic pop tune titled "Waiting For This." The song turned into a medley of a track from their second studio album titled "In the City" and another unreleased song titled "Rock and Roll Razorblade." The crowd was on their feet, but I must say I got most excited during Zac's songs.

Zac sings quite a few leads on Shout It Out. Normally, he plays the guitar or piano during his solos, but for this tour, he's playing drums and singing at the same time. He is one amazingly coordinated drummer. During "And I Waited," a tough song that grabs you from the drum intro, he did not miss a single beat, or lyric! He was absolutely incredible. I didn't have my camera with me (only my phone) but here's a fan video of a recent show:



After 6 electric songs, they changed their set to acoustic. They sang two songs as a group, then Isaac and Taylor left the stage for Zac to do another song. This time he sang "Go," a ballad about a couple going through a divorce. It was just him and the guitar and of course, he sounded very beautiful.

Next up was Taylor on the piano singing a cover of "Love Me" by Elvis. Though the acoustic set was great for giving the crowd some time to stop jumping, I couldn't wait for them to get back to the electric set.

Zac also did a cover of "Oh Darlin'" by the Beatles. Again, he was incredible. Here's another fan video from a recent show:



Next was "MMMBop," the song that made them popular in the first place. I love hearing this song live -- the crowd is always extra energetic. The song always takes me back to 1997. Good times.

But the crowd was most energetic during the song, "If Only." Mr. Taylor Hanson plays the harmonica and piano at the same time. He starts the song off with the harmonica and jumping up and down to get the crowd to do the same thing. Hair was definitely being flipped in my face -- not very pleasant, but I love the song so much that I didn't really care. One more fan video:



Before the last song, Taylor said "We can end either really loud, or really, really quiet," so they ended on a quiet song, titled "A Song to Sing" from their second album, This Time Around. It was a perfect, beautiful ending to a very energetic 2 hour show. I can't freaking wait to see them again.

Oh, and one more thing. Nikki Reed was there. Yes, the girl from Twilight.

Set List:

Waiting For This
Make It Out Alive
Minute Without You
And I Waited
Speechless
Carry You There

--Acoustic--

Penny And Me
These Walls
Go (Zac Solo)
Love Me (Taylor Solo)

--Back To Electric--

This Time Around
Voice In The Chorus
Where's The Love
Madeline
Thinking 'Bout Somethin'
Oh Darlin'
MMMBop
Give A Little
If Only
Lost Without Each Other

--Encore--

Save Me
Dying To Be Alive
A Song To Sing

2 comments: